Friday, January 31, 2014

Let Kids Read What They Want

That's the message in "Reading Unbound: Why Kids Need to Read What They Want -- and Why We Should Let Them." The authors go on to explain their premise, using real kids as examples. They discuss romance, dystopian stories, mystery, horror, vampires -- You name it.

They even explain why video games aren't so bad if your child is a reader -- or you're trying to get him to be one.

Michael W. Smith joined me on 1490 WESB's LiveLine to talk about the book and more.

Listen here: http://www.wesb.com/listen/. Click on the "Local Programs" tab and scroll down to "1-30-14 LiveLine Let Kids Read What They Want."

You can find more information at Scholastic.com.

2 comments:

  1. I can't seem to get my 10-year-old son interested in reading anything at all. Do you have any suggestions on where I could start and what I could start with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, as a matter of fact I do. Go to James Patterson's readkiddoread.com. There's even a section called "I-Hated-to-Read-Til-I-Read-This Booklist for Boys" It's a fun and interesting site. Good luck!

      Delete