Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Close Your Eyes, Hold Hands
By Chris Bohjalian

I don't think it would be possible for me to like this book more than I do.

A reactor at a nuclear power plant in Vermont has exploded, killing Bill and Mira Shepherd, leaving their teenage daughter Emily an orphan. What's worse is that the townspeople -- and eventually everyone else -- are blaming Bill for the catastrophe. It doesn't take long for Emily to decide she can't let people know who she is because she would be a pariah-by-association. She becomes a street kid, with everything you would imagine that entails.

At one point she meets a 9-year-old homeless boy and becomes somewhat of a surrogate mother to him.

The rest of the story deals with how Emily decides to get on with her life, and I don't want to give any of that away.

I should also add that this book is so compelling that I read it in one day.

You can listen to my talk with Chris Bohjalian here.

https://twitter.com/AnneSBU

Anne’s Book Club on Facebook

Anne's Book Club on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment