Saturday, June 20, 2015

Book Review
2 a.m. at the Cat's Pajama's

I wanted to like this book a lot more than I did.

I did like two of the main characters -- 9-year-old Madeline, an aspiring jazz singer, and her teacher Sarina. One of the problems with the book is that there wasn't enough of them, and there was too much about the large cast of supporting characters, most of whom I could not have cared less about. Even Sarina, though, confused me a little. If a guy treated me the way Ben treated her at the prom, I wouldn't give him the time of day, let alone swoon over him 15 years later (or however long it was. I can't even remember.)

Sometimes the writing was beautiful and awe-inspiring. Other times, the odd turns of phrase and overuse of adjectives was just annoying.

All I will say for the ending is that it was unsatisfying and I don't think it did justice to any of the characters.

As I said, I wanted to like this book a lot more than I did. I'm glad I read it but it won't be one I'll loo< at in a couple of years and say, "Oh, I loved that book."

https://twitter.com/AnneSBU

Anne’s Book Club on Facebook

Anne's Book Club on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment