Saturday, February 27, 2016

Off the Grid
By C.J. Box

Off the Grid is the best Joe Pickett story yet.

How can you not like a story where nothing less than the future of the country as we know it – and possibly the world – is at stake? Oh, and there’s an 800-pound grizzly bear, too.

Joe and his buddy Nate Romanowski don’t even realize they are both in Wyoming’s Red Desert until their missions start to overlap, but when they do finally get together their camaraderie is magic, as usual.

I wish I could tell you more of the story, but I don’t want to give away anything because the discovery is a big part of the fun – and scariness – of this book.

Something I like about the Joe Pickett books is that the characters age in “real time.” You know how, in some series’, a character is 5-years-old in the first book and, 20 years later, she’s only in junior high school? Annoying when I think about it. But the Pickett stories aren’t like that. And if you thought Sheridan was an interesting teenager, wait until you see what the 22-year-old gets herself into.

One character I hope Box brings back is the newspaper editor. Not because I like him, but because I really, really dislike him. He’s not a fan of libraries for goodness sake!

And, there’s the cliffhanger. I’m ready for the next one already!

https://twitter.com/AnneSBU

Anne’s Book Club on Facebook

Anne's Book Club on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment